Monday, April 23, 2012

Grabbed My Gear And Off I Went

Date: 22 April 2012
Air Temp:46-48
Water Temp: 64-67 degrees
Wind:10-14
Sky: Overcast (moderate to periods of heavy rain and gusts)

Tide: LOW @ 2:19 pm

Aquia Creek

Launched at 2pm.  Fished the last hour, or so, of the outgoing tide (north wind kept tide going out).  It was "ON" from the gate.  I caught more than 10 fish in the first hour on the Trap.  Grass near shallow wood (in current) was key.  The bite completely died after about an hour and a half (tide was slack), so I tried some other spots, picking up fish here and there.  I had 16 fish at the 3 hour point.  I decided to challenge myself to end the day with 20 fish. The tide had started running pretty good again, so I went back to my original pattern. Fish number 17 took a while to find, but once I had it, 18 and 19 came quickly, all on the Trap.   Number 20 was a beast.  I was after it for about an hour and a half.  I lost it on 5 different occasions, just couldn't get it in the boat (probably due to my hands being numb at this point, it was pretty cold).  Finally, I switched back to plastic and hooked #20 again on the first pitch to shallow wood.  I got it to the boat and out pops my lure before I could swing it.  It's now 46 degrees, getting no warmer and the wind is howling.  I figured that was "close enough" and took off for some heat.

                                                             Fish at 6 minutes